WATFORD'S RESOLVE TESTED BY PREMIER LEAGUE INTEREST IN ROCCO VATA
Watford winger Rocco Vata is linked with a £20M move to Premier League and European clubs like Crystal Palace and Fulham. His recent agency switch fuels January transfer speculation.
Watford's Irish winger, Rocco Vata, is drawing interest this January. Crystal Palace and Fulham, as well as clubs like Eintracht Frankfurt and Atalanta, are watching the £20 million-rated player.
Watford's season hasn't exactly been smooth.
After sacking Tom Cleverley, they brought in Paulo Pezzolano as head coach this summer. But after just three wins in ten games, he was out too.
Watford has a history of quickly firing head coaches, and this season is no different. Javi Gracia, who previously led the team to an FA Cup final, is now back in charge.
The Hornets are currently 15th after 17 games. Ahead of their Monday match against Birmingham City, The Daily Mail reported that several clubs are tracking Vata for a potential £20 million deal.
Vata, 20, is being watched by clubs as the winter transfer window approaches, according to The Daily Mail.
Interestingly, Vata switched to StormSportsX on Saturday, November 29, leaving CAA Base. He's not the first Watford player to switch agencies recently.
Vata has only started five of his 12 EFL Championship appearances for Watford this season. Now, he's being linked to clubs like Crystal Palace and Fulham, plus Atalanta and Eintracht Frankfurt.
The Irishman's contract runs until the summer of 2028, with Watford able to extend it for another year. He's valued at £20 million, and Watford seems hesitant to sell unless they get a huge offer.
Vata has missed the last four Championship games after getting a serious hamstring injury against Ipswich Town. Gracia said he'll be out for a long time.
Despite this, the rumour mill is starting up, and Watford's resolve might be tested in January for their Irish player.
Vata hasn't had consistent playing time since joining from Celtic FC.
He joined Celtic as a kid in 2012 and worked his way up to the first team.
Though born in Glasgow, Scotland, Vata has played for the Republic of Ireland at every youth level and has made his senior debut, choosing to play for his grandmother's country.
He could have also played for Albania through his father, Scotland through his mother, or Montenegro, where he was born, but he chose Ireland.
Since arriving at Watford in the summer of 2024, where the club paid Celtic a £250k fee, he hasn't secured a regular starting spot.
Only 20 of his 43 Championship appearances have been as a starter, with Kwadwo Baah, Giorgi Chakvetadze, Tom Ince, and Nestory Irankunda also competing for a place.
With a long period on the sidelines expected, Vata won't be able to impress before January, and it might be hard to get back into the team when he returns.
Even though he's only 20, Vata has plenty of time to make his mark in the league when he's fit again. If a move doesn't happen this winter, interest in him will likely return.
Vata has shown flashes of exciting talent, and it's not surprising that other clubs are interested, but he probably won't be sold for £20 million anytime soon.
DANIEL STURRIDGE: VAR BROKE 'GOLDEN RULE' ON CAICEDO'S RED CARD
Daniel Sturridge claims VAR broke protocol by using slow-motion for Caicedo's red card.
Daniel Sturridge thinks a key VAR rule might have been broken when Moises Caicedo of Chelsea got a red card against Arsenal on Sunday. Caicedo was sent off for a late challenge on Mikel Merino. The ref, Anthony Taylor, first gave a yellow card, but VAR stepped in.
Sturridge, who used to play for Chelsea and Liverpool, kind of criticised how the technology was used, even though he agreed with the final call.
He told Sky Sports, When you watch it in slow motion, it looks bad. The ref first decided on a yellow card. Then they used VAR to look at it again. Watching it slowed down, it looks like a red card. But at full speed, it doesn't seem so bad. Slowing it down makes the ref think it's a red. When you watch the replay in slow motion, it decides for them.
Alan Smith, who was commentating with Sky Sports, said earlier, They're taking a good long look. He came in fast and hard. This could be a turning point in the game. They need to show it at full speed.
He missed the ball, but he came in hard, and they usually worry about a straight leg. He'll be lucky to stay on the field.
The Premier League shared their opinion soon after Caicedo was kicked out. Taylor also explained why he changed the card.
The Premier League Match Centre posted on X: #CHEARS – 34' VAR OVERTURN. After VAR review, the referee overturned the original decision of a yellow card to Caicedo and issued a red card for serious foul play.
Referee announcement: After review, Chelsea 25 makes a challenge with excessive force and endangers the safety of the opponent; therefore, my final decision is a red card.
Even with only ten players, Chelsea scored first. Trevoh Chalobah headed in a corner from Reece James.
But Mikel Merino quickly tied the score, heading in a cross from Bukayo Saka.
After Caicedo's red card, Chelsea seemed to focus on defending. Piero Hincapie was probably lucky not to get a red card himself after hitting Chalobah with an elbow.
Later, Hincapie fouled Joao Pedro, leading to more appeals, but Taylor didn't give another red card.
However, there were many yellow cards. Myles Lewis Skelly got a booking soon after replacing Riccardo Calafiori, who had already received a yellow card.
LUCAS PAQUETA BLASTS FA: STRESS FROM INVESTIGATION CAUSED RED CARD
West Ham's Lucas Paqueta publicly criticises the FA, claiming his red card vs. Liverpool was due to stress from their long investigation and lack of mental support.
West Ham's Lucas Paqueta is not happy with the FA after getting sent off recently. He feels his actions on the field were a result of the stress from the FA's long investigation into his behaviour.
The Brazilian midfielder was kicked out of the game during West Ham's 2-0 loss to Liverpool after getting two quick yellow cards for arguing.
After facing criticism, Paqueta went to social media to connect his actions to the lack of support he got during his almost two-year legal issue.
Paqueta reacted to a post online with a strong statement on X, where he blamed the FA for not providing mental health support after the betting investigation.
He posted:
It's not right that my life and career have been affected for two years without any help from the federation. Maybe my behaviour is just a result of what I've been going through and what it seems I'll keep going through! I'm sorry if I'm not perfect.
Paqueta had already said sorry to West Ham fans and teammates, admitting his actions didn't justify the dismissal. He also emphasised the huge impact the situation has had on his mental health.
Paqueta's reaction comes from the FA's investigation into alleged betting rule violations, which started in August 2023.
The situation put his career on hold, leading to a failed £70 million transfer to Manchester City.
Though the Regulatory Commission didn't find the spot-fixing charges proven earlier in the year, the midfielder was penalised for not giving all the needed info for the investigation.
This, while clearing him of the main accusations, hasn't reduced the stress from the drawn-out process.
The Liverpool game was another setback for Paqueta, who had just returned from a one-match suspension after getting five yellow cards.
Because of the red card, he'll now miss the game against Manchester United, which is another tough one for West Ham.